How a Fireplace Works

Soot build up is a fire hazard as the chimney may catch fire!

As a fire burns the air going through the grate fuels it and it releases numerous gases which rise as they are lighter than the surrounding air and they escape up the chimney out into the atmosphere.

As these substances pass through the chimney, soot, which includes a flammable element called creosote starts to accumulate on the walls of the chimney.

Over time this accumulation begins to obstruct and will eventually block the chimney. This can lead to an inefficient and even unsafe fireplace. Dangerous chemicals such as carbon monoxide and dust may then enter the room.

A soot build up is also a fire hazard as the chimney may catch fire with the resulting temperatures hot enough to cause damage to floorboards, chimney pots or much worse.